Immigration Information

I have

my certification exams from either the UK, Ireland, Australia or the USA

I have

temporary or permanent residency or my Canadian citizenship
next step >

I need

to apply for temporary or permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
go >

Click here for the steps to applying for working in Canada – whether you are eligible for a temporary work permit, permanent residence or citizenship.

Application to work in Canada

An international medical graduate who is not already a permanent resident or citizen of Canada will need to apply for a permit to work in Canada through Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

  • International medical graduates may be able to apply for a temporary residence permit which allows working in Canada, then submit an application for permanent residency after a period of time.
  • All the information about applying is available here
  • Health Match BC is very helpful with questions about how to obtain the necassary forms and Labour Market Impact Assessment for working in Canada.
  • If you currently hold a non-permanent visa/permit for Canada, please ensure that it permits the employment you are seeking in BC – you may need to apply for a new visa/permit if your current document limits you to practice in another province.
  • If you are seeking permanent residency or Canadian citizenship, be sure to confirm the length of time the process will take.