Effective promotion of your practice opportunities and your community involves a variety of activities from multimedia marketing and communication to facilitating, hosting, and/or participating in in-person events to connecting one-on-one with candidates. For these promotional activities to be successful it’s important to timeliness and appropriateness.
The following quick tips can help to promote your community and communicate with candidates.
- Consider several media options including social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter).
- Select appropriate media for the greatest impact.
- Explore costs.
- Free sites include Health Match BC, division and health authority sites, SGP locums site for SGP members.
- Locums.ca and the SGP locums site charge a fee (SGP charges for divisions, not members).
- Medical journals (online and print) and general job sites (e.g. Monster.ca) charge a fee.
- Face to face and word of mouth within your division, family medicine residency program, and physician conferences are other ways of marketing.
- Consider collaborative marketing with other divisions, the health authority, Health Match BC, and other partners to optimize impact and resources.
Responding to expressions of interest from candidates
- When a candidate responds to a posting they expect to receive a prompt reply.
- Aim to reply within 24 hours.
- Remember candidates usually inquire reply to postings in many different communities.
- Be prepared to answer general and specific questions about the posting and the community.
- In addition to email and phone, remember Facetime, Skype, and GoToMeeting as options for communication.
- Make sure that you know how best to reach the candidate after the initial contact.
- Ensure the candidate knows how to contact you or a designate.
- Involve designated community GPs in the conversation with candidates, as required.