Recruitment and Retention Committee
The following tips can help you form a recruitment and retention committee:
To strike a cCommittee
- Prepare a committee Terms of Reference (see template in following section).
- Make sure the committee is accountable to a Board.
To ensure the committee is relevant
- Make sure the committee’s purpose is clear and concisely communicated to all parties.
- Clearly define the role of the committee in your community.
- Plan to develop strong community partnerships.
To compose a Committee
- Ensure diverse representation that reflects the community it serves.
- Practice types (e.g., Full service family physicians, hospitalists, GPs with subspecialties, ER physicians, walk-in-clinic GPs, maternity physicians.
- Practice size.
- Retired physicians.
- Family medicine residents.
- Community partners (e.g., municipality, health authority, business, foundations, First Nations).
To ensure the Committee has adequate human resource (HR) support
- Assign or hire or a program leader (e.g., Coordinator, Executive Director, Consultant).
- Clearly define the leader’s relationship and accountability to the Committee.
- Dedicate an appropriate amount of HR support time and funding to implement the Committee’s work.