IMG, IMS or CSA From a Medical School in Australia, Ireland, UK or USA Who Has Completed/Will Complete Postgraduate Training in Canada
International medical graduates (IMGs) are generally described as individuals who have completed medical school outside of Canada and the USA. Canadians studying abroad – Canadian citizens who have completed medical school outside of Canada - are also considered IMGs.
IMGs have a unique journey to practice as a GP in BC. For those from Australia, Irleland, the UK, or US who have completed medical school in one of these four locations and have completed or will complete residency in Canada:
- You may be eligible for Certification in the College of Family Physicians (CCFP) without examination if you have you have successfully completed your certification exams to become a specialist in family medicine in one of the recognized jurisdictions (e.g. Australia, Ireland, UK, US).
- You will be required to complete a two year return of service in an underserved community in BC.
- You may be eligible for an MCCEE (Medical Council of Canada Evaluation Exam) exemption.
- If you are not already a permanent resident or citizen of Canada you will need to apply for a work permit through Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.
- You may also be eligible to apply for a temporary residence permit, which allows working in Canada, followed by applying for permanent residency after a period of time.